Tips On Selling Your Car – 10 Steps
There comes a time in every vehicle owner’s life when it’s time to upgrade and buy a new vehicle. Their current model has served them well, but it’s time for something better. But what do you do with that old vehicle? You’ve invested a good deal of money into the car over the years, and you’d like to recoup some of that investment.
- Collect the car’s information — Make sure you know the basic details (make, model, year, mileage, etc.), and be certain that you have the car’s paperwork (service records, title, and original sales papers) handy. Get into the details by finding out if there are any optional features (leather seats, sun-roof, navigation system, stereo system, etc.) that could bump up the price.
- Get the car checked out –– Take the vehicle to the nearest center for collision repair Valencia can offer you and get a pre-sell inspection. Even if your car looks and feels like new, get it checked out to be certain. The inspection will help you know if there are problems, and will give your buyer confidence in the vehicle’s current condition.
- Trade in or sell? — Trading in your vehicle is fast, convenient, and there is less sales tax on your new vehicle, but selling usually gets you more for your vehicle. If you have the time and desire, you may want to sell. If you’re low on time, consider trading in.
- Get it detailed — Take your car to an auto collision repair Valencia facility and get them to detail it for you. Taking care of rust stains, clouded headlights, nicks, and dents will increase the car’s appearance, making it easier for you to raise the price.
- Determine the price — You can find the Blue Book value of your car online, and that will be a good way to figure out how much you can realistically ask for your vehicle. You can always ask for a bit more, particularly if the vehicle is still under warranty, is in good condition, and has a new set of tires or brakes. Ask for a bit less if you want to sell the vehicle quickly, it has been in a collision, or it is in need of servicing.
- Create an Ad Online –– Use Craigslist, KBB, or AutoTrader to post an ad for your vehicle online–it’s the best way to put it in front of as many eyes as possible.
- Call Potential Buyers –– Before you meet in person, talk with potential buyers on the phone to answer their questions and ask a few of your own. You want to be certain that they will actually be able to afford the vehicle, or if they need to obtain the money or financing in order to buy it.
- Go for a Test Drive –– As the potential buyer is driving, explain why you priced your vehicle higher (extra features, well-maintained, new tires or brakes) or lower (need to sell quickly) than normal. Be sure to accompany the buyer on the test drive!
- Negotiate –– It’s all about trying to get the best price–both for you and your potential buyer! Don’t be afraid to lower your price a bit, but stand firm when you’ve reached your lowest price point.
- Complete the Sale –– Sign and date the Bill of Sale, sign over the vehicle’s title, sign the release of liability, photocopy all the paperwork before giving the new owner the keys. The next day, remove the vehicle from your insurance and submit the paperwork to the DMV.
With these 10 steps, you’ll be certain to sell your vehicle the RIGHT way!