If you’ve been driving around your vehicle a lot, or it has been greatly damaged, or it needs some repair work, and it’s not in the same new condition it came in, chances are, you probably want to to revamp your vehicle and get new replacement parts. The solution is simple. You might think of going to your local car dealer shop or might think of going to an independent shop to purchase parts. In the auto industry, new and used parts are called different things. Used parts are called aftermarket parts and new parts are known as Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts.
Regardless of what they’re called, they are used for the same purpose. They are both feasible options for vehicle repair after an accident. It’s totally up to you to choose the type of parts you need for your vehicle. At a dealership repair service, you will have access to Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts and at an independent auto shop; you will get the aftermarket parts.
These parts are directly made by the car manufacturer. There is no third party involved. These parts are specifically made and customized to a certain model of the vehicle. These are specifically made to fit the vehicle. Because of the exclusivity and manufacturing, these parts also considered expensive and cost a lot more.
These parts are made by another company. They are not made by the car manufacturer. Because a third party manufactures them, they are made in high quantity. These parts are manufactured to fit the specifications of different types of vehicles. There is no specific part customized and produced for different make and model of cars and trucks. These parts are considered very similar to the OEM parts in terms of type and quality, but they are not exactly the same. After all, they are much cheaper than the OEM parts and therefore might not always be the perfect fit.
Pros and cons of the OEM parts
- These parts are easy to choose from. They only come in one type for that specific vehicle. If you want a specific part, you will be able to find one that fits perfectly for your vehicle. You don’t need to compare and match with other dealerships or auto shops.
- The quality is impeccable. You have a 100% guarantee that the specific part is the perfect identical replacement to the replaced part. These parts were originally designed. You don’t have to worry about the quality as you also receive a warranty for a certain time period.
- They are expensive, no doubt. These parts are priced high because they are original and specific. They generally cost more than aftermarket parts.
- There is limited availability of these parts overall as these parts are only available through authentic dealerships and suppliers. OEM parts are usually purchased online through the dealership.
Pros and cons of the OEM parts
- They are inexpensive. They are generally cheaper than OEM parts. You can save a lot of money by opting for aftermarket parts.
- There is a lot of variety in the market. Sometimes, the aftermarket part is better designed and improved in terms of quality compared to the OEM part.
- They are readily available everywhere. Independent auto shops have these parts. You don’t have to wait a long time for your car to be repaired.
- Because there is a lot of variety, there are a lot of choices. It can be quite difficult to decide as you will be comparing the parts from different shops to purchase the best one.
- These parts might not necessarily come with a warranty.