Painting a vehicle may seem like a fairly simple, straightforward job, sort of like painting a wall. Just sand the paint down a bit, let it dry, then apply a fresh coat of paint. How hard can it be?
Unless you’ve painted a vehicle, you have no idea how complex it actually is. A lot goes into painting a car—from removing old paint to smoothing out the surface to applying a base coat to matching paint colors to applying the finish to protecting the drying paint from dust and debris. There are so many reasons why you need to work with a car painting service Los Angeles instead of trying to do it yourself:
- Expertise – Certain car repair tasks can be DIYed, such as changing the oil, replacing a flat tire, or even some detailed engine and interior work. Painting a car, not so much! It’s very likely you don’t have the right tools for the job, much less the knowhow to do it properly. This is one task that requires specific technical expertise. If you don’t have it, you’re better off letting someone who does handle the job for you.
- Tools – Painting a car isn’t at all like painting a wall or your house. You can’t just use a paintbrush and some oil-based paint. You need A LOT of specialized tools, including specific spray guns, the right types of paint, and so much more. Trying to DIY your car paint job could end up with the car looking beat-up and run-down.
- Color Matching – The human eye will never be as effective at paint-matching as a machine. Paint that looks like the right color may be slightly off once it dries, and your car will look like a patchwork quilt of similar but different colors.
- Needed Repairs – Do you have any idea how to get a dent out of a car or replace a damaged fender or bumper? Do you have access to the tools required to make those repairs or replacement? If not, you’re better off letting the car paint professionals do the needed repairs as well.
- Long-Lasting Finish – For your car, not just any paint will do! You need the type of paint that can withstand a lot of snow, rain, sunshine, heat, cold, dust, mud, dirt, and sand. The paint may be high-gloss to match the glossy finish of your vehicle, and it will have a special coating to protect the metal beneath from rust. There are specialized types of paint used for vehicles, and your car repair service in Los Angeles will know which paint to use for the job.
While there are many car jobs you can DIY, it’s better to let a professional handle the painting and finishing of your car!